3 Partners In Shopping, Nana, Mommy & Sissy

Thanks for stopping by!

My Button

My Button

Monday, February 2, 2015

Huckleberry Spring by Jennifer Beckstrand Book Tour and Guest Post








Huckleberry Spring ;



Nothing gives Anna and Felty Helmuth greater satisfaction than seeing their grandchildren happily married–except for planning their next matchmaking venture. And as springtime comes to Huckleberry Hill, Wisconsin, the air is filled with promise. . .



Ever since the Helmuths’ grandson, Ben, abruptly broke his engagement and moved to Florida, Emma Nelson has kept busy tending her vegetable garden and raising award-winning pumpkins. She can put her heartache aside to help Ben’s Mammi with her own pumpkin patch. At least until Ben shows up to lend support to his ailing Dawdi. . .



Gardening side by side with pretty, nurturing Emma is a sweet kind of torture for Ben. She could have her pick of suitors who can offer what he can’t, and he cares too much to burden her with his secret. Leaving once more is the only option. Yet Emma’s courage is daring him to accept the grace that flourishes here, and the love that has been calling him back to Huckleberry Hill.









Excerpt;

Donning her leather gardening gloves, Emma found the wheelbarrow in the shed next to a seriously large bag of Pumpkin Pro. She studied the label. Fifty pounds. She’d have to summon Ben to lift it for her.

On second thought, there was no need to bother Ben. She had a wheelbarrow and two strong arms. She was perfectly capable of moving the bag of Pumpkin Pro by herself.

After scooting some garden tools and terracotta pots out of the way, she maneuvered the wheelbarrow closer to the fertilizer bag and tipped the clumsy thing onto its side. The bag stood firmly against the wall as if propping it up. If she scooted it just right, the bag would tumble into the sideways wheelbarrow and with very little effort, she would be able to right the wheelbarrow with the Pumpkin Pro inside. Probably.

She clutched the heavy brown bag at the corners and pulled with all her might. The bag creaked and groaned, as if it complaining that it didn’t want to move. It fell over, but not in the direction she wanted it to. It ended up flat on the ground parallel to the wheelbarrow but not inside it.

Emma puffed the air from her lungs, bent over, and tried to scoot the lazy bag into the wheelbarrow. It proved even heavier flat on the ground like that. It felt as if she were trying to move a…well, a bag of fertilizer that wouldn’t lift a finger to help her.

She stepped back to gain some leverage, as if that were going to make any difference, and her foot found the handle of a rake. The rake must have sneaked up behind her at the bag’s request. Obviously the bag of Pumpkin Pro would stoop to anything to keep Emma from moving it.

She wasn’t quite sure how it happened, but she stepped on the rake and her feet slipped out from under her. She stumbled backward and tumbled into the sideways wheelbarrow, which by some inexplicable law of balance righted itself with Emma in it. With a squeak of alarm, she came to rest on her back, gazing at the ceiling of the shed with feet and arms pointing in every direction like an upside-down potato bug. She waved her hand in surrender. That was one clever bag of Pumpkin Pro. A worthy opponent indeed.





Author Bio;

I grew up with a steady diet of William Shakespeare and Jane Austen. After all that literary immersion, I naturally decided to get a degree in mathematics, which came in handy when one of my six children needed help with homework. After my fourth daughter was born, I started writing. By juggling diaper changes, soccer games, music lessons, laundry, and two more children, I finished my first manuscript—a Western—in just under fourteen years.



I have always been fascinated by the Amish way of life and now write Inspirational Amish Romance. I am drawn to the strong faith of the Plain people and admire the importance they put on enduring family ties. I have visited and studied Amish communities in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin where I met with a bishop and a minister as well as several Amish mamms, dats, and children. It has always impressed me at what salt-of-the-earth people they are. My interactions with these kind people have been some of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I have a dear Amish friend with whom I correspond in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. She helps me keep my facts straight and gives me inspiration for my stories.



My goal is to write uplifting, inspiring stories with happy endings and hopeful messages. If my books make readers want to give themselves a big hug or jump up and down for joy, I’ve done my job. I am a member of Romance Writers of America and American Christian Fiction Writers and am represented by Mary Sue Seymour of The Seymour Agency.



There are three Amish romances in the Forever After in Apple Lake Series (Summerside/Guideposts). Kate’s Song, Rebecca’s Rose, and Miriam’s Quilt are all now available.



I have six Amish Roamish buggymances in the works with Kensington Books. The first and second books, Huckleberry Hill and Huckleberry Summer, are now available in stores and online. The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill is set in northern Wisconsin Amish country.



The series, The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, is about an elderly Amish couple who try to find suitable mates for their grandchildren. What could be more fun than throwing two young people together to see if sparks ignite? No one would ever suspect two octogenarian Amish folks of mischief.



Romantic Times gave Huckleberry Hill 4 1/2 stars and chose Huckleberry Summer as a TOP PICK.



I have four daughters, two sons, three sons-in-law, and two adorable grandsons. I live in the foothills of the Wasatch Front with my husband and one son still left at home.

Guest Post;

Thank you so much for author Jennifer Beckstrand for sharing her thoughts with us today.


By Jennifer Beckstrand

 

There is no one quite like a grandma—or mammi—as she is called in Pennsylvania Dutch. When I hear the word “grandma,” I think of a pleasingly plump, gray-haired lady whose eyes twinkle perpetually as if every day were Christmas. That’s the kind of mammi I hope I’ve created in Anna Helmuth, the feisty eighty-four-year-old who stirs up trouble in my Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill series. Anna loves making matches and goes to great lengths to see that each of her grandchildren has a happily ever after.

 

In Huckleberry Spring, Anna is at it again. She concocts a wild plan to reunite her grandson Ben with his ex-fiance, but Felty, Anna’s longsuffering husband, is the one who’s in for a wild ride. Anna talks him into getting surgery in order to lure Ben home. Unfortunately for Felty, only one surgery might not be enough to keep Ben in town.

 

I have three small grandsons. At first, I wasn’t sure about the whole grandma title. I was afraid being a grandma would age me twenty years. But when I first held that perfect little baby in my arms, I discovered that I could love someone as much as I loved my own children—without having to do all that work.

 

My goal is to be the most terrific and bestest grandma there ever was. I want every visit to my house to be like going to Disneyland, without the long lines or the expensive concessions.

 

I want to be the kind of grandma who:

·         Doesn’t mind if her grandkids rifle through her purse in search of Tic Tacs.

·         Cherishes that tiny, smudgy handprint on the sliding glass door and won’t let Grandpa scrub it off.

·         Lets her grandkids stay up late to watch “The Apple Dumpling Gang,” “The Court Jester,” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.”

·         Makes a batch of cookie dough and doesn’t mind if it gets eaten before it makes it into the oven.

·         Plays catch in the backyard and lets aspiring pitchers practice their curve balls.

·         Never loses her temper. That’s what parents are for.

·         Serves Poptarts for breakfast.

·         Doesn’t care if a toddler empties all the drawers in her kitchen.

·         Gives embarrassing hugs and kisses.

·         Puts on her play clothes when the grandkids come over.

·         Thinks a messy house is part of the fun.

·         Loves her grandkids so much that her own children begin to feel ignored and unappreciated.

 

That’s the kind of mammi Anna Helmuth is. Because she’s so lovable, her grandchildren don’t mind her meddling in their love lives.

 

Most of the time.



Links






No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad1